Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Miguel Cotto Conference Call

    With less than three weeks until May 5 when Floyd Mayweather takes on Miguel Cotto in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, you can start hearing the buzz all over from the Boxingheads. Some are getting ready to travel to Las Vegas for the fight others planning their Cinco De Mayo Bash at home and will order the PPV.  Either way you can feel the excitement in the air. With the Mayweather vs Cotto faceoff already airing on HBO and also episode 1 of their hit series 24/7, with episode 2 airing this weekend,  I think everyone is in agreement we just hope the hype lives up to the actual fight like in most cases. This is like our Superbowl and we don't want to see a blowout .
   Today Miguel Cotto held his media conference call to discuss his May 5 Mega-Fight versus Floyd Mayweather. Here are some of the highlights Miguel spoke on.
  
   When asked how did he feel about Mayweather taking the fight at 154lbs?
"First of all I thank Mayweather a lot for making the fight at my weight, if he wants my title he has to fight in my weight and the correct way.

   When asked why did he choose the Mayweather fight rather than pursuing a remacth with Manny Pacquiao?
   "We had more than one reason in picking Mayweather but I received better treatment in negotiations with Mayweather than Pacquiao so we took this fight instead of a rematch with pacquiao.
   When asked Going back say 6 years ago when both you and Mayweather were both champions and with Top Rank there were conversations of you fighting then.  Do you think back to those days and how much you would have liked the fight back then or are you satisfied with the fight finally happening today? 
  "Everything in life happens for a reason the fight could have happen 4-6 years ago but I'm feeling good now I have my confidence after Margarito fight.
  When asked on you've recently had a couple different trainers in your corner what kind of difference does Pedro Diaz make for you?
"A lot of people don't know Pedro because Pedro was the head trainer for the Cuban team.Hes had a lot of success with the Cubans in the amateurs so I think he left Cuba in 2008. So when I had my problems with my trainer Evanglista we decided to talk to him but he didn't want to join us because he felt he wasn't prepared enough to train in professional boxing .Then after we had some issues with Emanuel Steward we talked to Pedro again and he agreed to join this time.  Ive known Pedro since 1996, having a Cuban, a Latin guy with all his experience and knowledge makes it more comfortable.
   When asked If Pedro has taught him things he did not know?
   "He's giving me things that I already had in my game and just tweaked them and brought them back to my game.
  When asked what would it mean to you to become the first fighter to beat Floyd? "No one is invincible in life I know that because Ive already been through this in my life. Im ready for anything Floyd brings on may 5 but will he be ready for what I bring on may 5th although I know he is a hard worker".
   When asked what different tings have you done in getting ready for Mayweather than that of what you did for Margarito? 
  "Well Margarito and Mayweather are two different fights Margarito is a pressure fighter and works on KO and Floyd is a boxer who depends on defense and counter punching. So we have a way different game plan but with same effectiveness.
    When asked what have you done to overcome Floyd's defense and elusiveness?
   "Only thing Ive done since Pedro landed in Puerto Rico on February 13th and I will continue to do until May 4th the last day of training  is trust in Pedro instructions just like he trust in me as a fighter"
When asked on what the futures holds after the Mayweather fight?
   "When I beat Mayweather May 5 the only thing that's going to happen is I will rest for a couple of weeks and then I will talk to my team about boxing again.
     When asked if the fight goes to the scorecards are you worried about the judges?
   "No worries I'm sure in what Ive done so far. At the end of the fight if it comes as a decision or a knockout I will be victorious and nothing will get in the way"

   There you have it some of the reasons Miguel Cotto feels he will win come May 5th. Thanks for reading. Leave your comments please.

Mr Prez
@NUBLUEYANKEE

1 comment:

  1. Great questions Prez...and I love his answers. Thank You for getting them because so many of us wanted to know and now we do! Let's go Cotto behind him 100%...suziec611

    ReplyDelete